This blog has moved to www.disneylovin.com

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Live Music at Downtown Disney (Disney Springs)

I spent much of my last three summers out at Downtown Disney (soon to be Disney Springs as of this Tuesday) here in Orlando. It’s a fabulous open air mall kind of place with live entertainment, shops, restaurants, a state of the art movie theater, bowling alley and Cirque Du Soleil.

Yeah, I’m blessed to live here! It’s such a remarkable change from the rural landscape of southwest Virginia where I spent the last ten years of my life... but I digress.

When I first moved here, I didn't have the money to buy an annual pass, so I did all the "freebies" Disney World could throw at me. By and large, Downtown Disney was my favorite, has given me countless days and nights of entertainment, good food and memories, and it has been instrumental in the rediscovery of my love of live music. There is just something in the combined energy of musician and audience that, for me, is magical.

Music has always played an important part in my life. I remember from the age of three,
having my own record player, listening to music in my room and the joy it brought me. As I grew older, I begged for piano lessons, singing lessons, guitar lessons and would make music on anything I could. As a teen I started hanging around bands, made the mistake of dating a few musicians (another story for another time *eye roll*) and truly began my love of live music above all other forms.


Since arriving in Orlando, I have made my life-long dream of attending the opera and symphony a reality. I’ve been to several concerts and two music festivals, each event bringing some different nuance to my soul, but where I’ve found my heart content, is any night out at Downtown Disney.

What’s so special about DTD is the variety. On any given night, there are musicians performing everything from Latin, to classical, to pop and country and we even have a House of Blues!

There are so many more performers that I couldn’t possibly mention them all. Plus with the conversion to Disney Springs, even more have been brought in. I'm always seeing someone new every time I'm out there it seems, but here's a list of a few of my personal favorites that I always make time for.

The draw for me with Bryan and Billy is not their obvious talent, but the passion of front man Bryan Malpass. His spirit just shines in him whether he’s on stage, or off, and he’s such a joy to watch perform. They play a great mix of today’s country like Florida-Georgia Line and Darius Rucker and older songs from Journey, Bryan Adams and the Eagles.

Currently performing at Exposition Park (near the Starbucks, at the food trucks) most weekends, they really put on a great show and you will be smiling when you leave.


Dominic Gaudious… you have to see this man perform his eclectic mix of electric guitar and didgeridoo. I don’t think it’s something you’ll find anywhere else, but out here at Disney! This is a man who loves and appreciates his fans too so make sure you say hi after the set. He really puts on a great show.

Currently playing at what they're calling the Sunshine Highline on the Westside, it's beneath the old raised train trestle, right between the Starbucks, the Characters on Flight Balloon, and the Harley Davidson store.

Nova Era is another of my favorites, a trio playing synthesized classical music. Their rendition of Pachelbel's Canon feeds my soul and one moment in their presence, I feel all the tension of the day slip right away into nothingness.

You'll find them in River Boat Square which is right in front of Fulton's Crab House, pretty much in the middle of everything right now. They play most nights starting at 7pm.

Another don't miss is the amazing Nicholas Marks. His guitar skill is only matched by his kindness. He is one of a kind and something you truly have to see to understand, not just how good he is, but how special. His music breathed new life into my writing and a passion for it that hadn’t been there since my divorce. I’m profoundly grateful for all the hours of entertainment he provides. Currently playing most Tuesdays through Saturday at Waterview Park between the Hangar Bar and the Boathouse restaurant.

One last mention is Don Black. He plays in Animal Kingdom by day and by night he takes up a spot either at the Sunshine Highline or Waterview Park.

In a way, I think this makes him a super hero. ;-)

He plays that sax with passion and draws large crowds in the process. Truly worth catching a set if you can.

All of the musicians have CDs available for purchase as well and will sign them and pose for photos on their breaks too.

Maybe it’s the mix of artistry and passion, or maybe it’s simply the energy of the notes filling the air and the crowd responding, but live music is something that, when I am without, my soul suffers noticeably.So for me, a night out at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs, is one of my favorite things to do here at Disney, and in Orlando.

It was probably all those nights out there that inspired some of my Elethiya Tales as well, particularly those in the Stardust After Dark line. So if you love a musician like I do, keep an eye out for those stories starting to roll out later this year.

All in all, I love Downtown Disney and am excited for the change to Disney Springs. If you've been to Downtown Disney recently, if you have favorite musicians there, list them in the comments below as I'm always fascinated to see the passion of the Downtown Disney crowd when it comes to their musicians!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive